Thanks Bill

Bill mentioned the other day (click here) that he had just finished reading John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany. I picked up a copy at the library Saturday. The problem is that evey time I sit down to read it, I get to a point where I just can't stand it anymore, and burst out into tears. The book is humorous, and delightful, and educational, but man is it a tear jerker. My first emotional breakdown came at page 81, where the narrarator paints a picture of eleven year-old Owen struggling up the hill on his bicycle after peeing his pants in front of other kids. The narrator and his mother chase after him to say that everything is okay. It parallels this image almost immediately with Owen riding his bike up the same hill after hitting a baseball that accidentally kills the mother of the narrarator. This was a women who loved Owen as much as she did her own son, a woman whom Owen loved equally. Since page 81, I cry about every twenty pages, and EVERY time I do, I think, "Damn that Bill. What has he gotten me into!" I'm only 20% of the way into the book and highly recommend it. Evan was appalled. He said, "You're only 20% into this book and you've cried every night for three nights in a row?!" And if you're in the Irving section of the bookstore and find they don't have A Prayer for Owen Meany, then check out The Fourth Hand, a fantastic love story. Also, A Widow for One Year, a book about a dysfunctional family (as if that narrows it down by much). Off the topic, I worked in a bookstore for many years, as most of you know, and it wasn't until recently that I realized that the cover for a A Widow for One Year is not a lightswitch. It's an empty hook. I read the whole book before I realized it. I'm not sure how important that was, but that's the news for the night. I've got a book to read. Shit, I'm starting to tear up just thinking about it.

1 comments

Blogger Bill Eseltine  said...

The World According to Garp and "Cider House Rules are necessary reads as well. Crying is good. It reminds us we're human.

2/16/2005 10:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment  |  Back to amienence grise.